Old 08-26-19, 02:41 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Two weeks shy of one year anniversary, said good bye to my orthopedic surgeon.

-mr. bill
Congrats!

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Last Sunday, my daughter Betsey and I loaded our bikes on the back of her Subaru and drove out to Burlington, Vermont. Monday morning, we started a 3-day credit-card tour of the Champlain Islands by riding out the Island Line Trail, the Colchester Causeway and South Hero Bike Ferry, and peregrinated up West Shore Road, with stops at the Accidental Farmer for lunch and the Ed Weed Fish Hatchery for a look at somebody's lunch-to-be, before arriving at Faywood Gardens, our airbnb home base for the next two days. After settling in, meeting our hostess and her dog and cat, and taking a short rest, we hit the road again for a grocery run to Pomykala Farm for fresh vegetables and AB Beverages for everything else, with a little more touristic splendor on East Shore Road North, US-2, and Lovers Lane (graveled and hilly), then cooked up some dinner and plotted the route for Tuesday's ride. All this entailed 35.64 miles of pedaling through Burlington, Colchester, South Hero, and Grand Isle.
What a nice trip! Love seeing reports like this, especially about local-ish places. And great to see you sharing the experience with your daughter.

I was on the Cape this weekend thanks to the generosity of our friends who hosted us. I was unable to get up on time for an early morning ride on Saturday but did manage a 13-mile 'quickie' through Barnstable and Osterville. You know you're in a nice town when you get passed by a procession of 3 Range Rovers in a row. It drizzled a little bit, which was very annoying because it made hard to see but eventually stopped and the sun came out. My clip-on fenders came in very handy.
The Cape is a really special place to ride, IMO. I wish I had more time to explore it (but Saturday was beach day!)

If I start a thread of pictures of bikes with rainbows, do you think I'll get enough responses?

Hoardes of turkeys everywhere!

Total of just about 13 miles.

A little later in the morning we attempted to take our daughter to CCRT, but the weather was treacherous. While it was sunny and warm when we left, things got cooler, more cloudy, and muuuch windier by the time we got out on the trail. We made it only 5 miles before turning around, we just weren't prepared for the cold. It was still a nice outing and we got to ride the new addition with the bridges over Bass River and Rt. 134.

The bridge over 134 and less-than-perfect weather.

Crossed paths with 3 guys who were doing a bikepacking tour to P-town. Always interesting to see where people are riding through and what kind of routes they're putting together.

Last edited by autonomy; 08-26-19 at 02:45 PM.