View Single Post
Old 11-26-19, 07:17 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Nice Club Racer in an unusual blue. Looks nice and clean. Yes to the EA1 wheel set. I can't remember what saddle was stock but at least it's not a Dunlop.
The ride is just average, typical of CCM, but hey you'll look good! Quality tires are pretty much gone from the market. I'd swear my 51 had the same original rubber as yours. Perhaps Barron Swallows?

51 CCM's
The bike is too small for me, so I think I'll pass. It is for sale in the Ottawa - Montreal region for those interested. I think I'll be holding out for an interesting higher-end frame in my size 60-62cm, should one come my way, for the next bike. My high tensile Peugeot has a nice ride for its original place in the lineup, and is a good commuter. It is cool to see a 1950s CCM though. The higher spec model description in your catalogue mentions "alloy steel" frame. I bet those are hard to come by.

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I would most likely have to buy an FW in used, unknown condition, and this is not giving me confidence.
I bought mine like that. Once it is built into a wheel, I want to see how it will work. It has already had a 3/4 rebuild, but if it rides just fine, I will wait until it doesn't to take it apart again. FWs are supposed to be a little more touchy, but I read on the gentleman's cycle group that a higher quality shifter cable can help with low gear on four-speed hubs to hold things. Mark at Bikesmith sells higher end stainless shifter cables with a bronze cable stop brazed onto the end, and he recommends it for FW hubs for smooth action. I ordered two since I figured I'll be using this hub for years to come and the price was good. It seemed like a good idea and I was already ordering cotter pins for the '56 Sports and '72 Sports.

Originally Posted by gster
Interesting bike.
The only tires I've found to fit are Kenda 023 from Amazon.ca
Link;
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If the frame was bigger I might have persuaded myself, especially for the colour and complete SA hub and window shifter.