View Single Post
Old 05-27-19, 05:27 PM
bgross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I’ve been a vegetarian for 45 years. These days, my wife and I are vegan at home but vegetarian when we travel. I add cheese and eggs to my diet when I tour by bicycle as it is just too much trouble for me to eat, otherwise. I don’t carry cooking gear so I rely on raw or packaged food or restaurants. Many restaurants in Europe (I’m currently in France) mark their menus to identify vegetarian and vegan meals, as well as those that are gluten free.

I could easily do without eggs (my Warmshowers host made a quiche for dinner last night) and cheese, though it is a nice addition to daily diet while riding, but surely not necessary. Both of these are as much preference and convenience. If I did all my own cooking, remaining vegan would not be a problem, but it isn’t something I want to subject the kind people who host on my trips to.

As for what I eat, Breakfast is fruit, bread and coffee. Bread, tomatoes, pesto sauce (available without cheese) potato chips, cookies, fruit, olives, and occasionally cheese I carry with me on the bike.. All but the cookies and cheese are vegan. Dinner, if I make it, is usually stir fried vegetables using spices I bring with me. All this is easily available in Europe. In other parts of the world or in small town USA, some items might be hard to get.
This, though we’ve only been vegetarian for ~32 years. We made the transition to vegan/WFPB about 18 months ago and were surprised at how simple it was.
When touring/traveling we simple “flex” back to including cheese/dairy/eggs when courtesy or convenience requires.
We’re happy with our dietary choices and our reasons for those choices, but don’t see the need to be evangelical about it. The same goes for our spiritual convictions, etc.
YMMV. Good travels!