Old 06-01-08, 10:06 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Need-A-Bike
wow guys thanks a million, one of my aint concerns is the handle bar, on the trek it seems as if the handle bar is too low (or is that just my wrong preception?) the sedona seems like a good fit but my LBS doesnt sell them!!!!!! thats the one i think i want, so idk i guess i gotta do some seaching, i wish there was a web site that had them, but it seems hard to find, and wow you guys weight lost are a HUGE inspiration...i cant wait to start riding, im strong willed and will be dedicated to it!
Most modern bikes use a thread-less stem, there is a tube that runs from the fork up (called a steerer), the stem bolts around it, sometimes dealers cut the stem too short, making the bars too low, so they probably are too low, they just need to assemble a bike from the box and not cut the steerer. Best is to get them to leave the steerer uncut, and use several different sized spacers, then by moving the spacers around, you can change the bar height, until you get it perfect, then they can cut it. This should be S.O.P. at bike shops, but it isn't. It's easy to cut something shorter, it's impossible to cut it longer, which is why the golden rule in carpentry is measure twice, cut once.