Old 08-21-15, 10:54 PM
iamclaus

Bikes: Breezer Zag8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my somewhat cheap ride..

The bike is a 2008 Breezer Zag8 aluminum-frame folding bike with 20" wheels that I bought through Craigslist for $75 last year while on vacation as an alternative to renting a bike for several days. It was originally an 8-spd, but I had a 3-spd Sturmey Archer rear hub added last month to bring the gearing up to a more normal 24-spd gearing. The tires are new 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Racers. The rear rack is an Axiom Journey Adjustable 2429 to accomodate regular-sized panniers. The extra space under the rear rack was used to attach a wine bottle cooler bag that holds my camera tripod instead. On the front is a cheap calliper-mounted rack from eBay with a DIY brace to support panniers. On the bottom side of the front rack, a pair of tire pump brackets hold a pair of LED MagLites that serve as headlights for when it gets dark. The pannier bags are from Mountain Equipment Co-op, two 12L and one 20L World Tour series in lime green. The extra water bottles are attached to the steering riser with Topeak CageMount brackets and Topeak X-15 Adapters that let the bottle cages pivot to allow the bottles to be removed easily. Up top on the handlebars, my iPhone 5 was mounted with a Finn and powered by a battery pack in the front pannier, a Garmin 305 GPS running watch was used as a speedometer and track logger, and the ever-crucial feedbag for fruit and veg from farmstands along the way. The saddle is the stock Biologic comfort seat that came with the bike which seems to suit my bottom just fine.

Flew out to Vancouver with it a few weeks ago for my first ever 'bike vacation'. I was staying with a friend in Vancouver, but did take a mini tour to Victoria for three nights, and two nights on Salt Spring Island. Didn't camp, just took the hostel in Victoria and an AirBNB on Salt Spring. All in all, I rode nearly 700km.. which seems insane. It was a trip full of 'firsts', including my first ever 100km in a day considering I usually only do 10-15km a couple times a week. Didn't have any major issues while riding aside from sore legs and a broken pedal (broken/worn bearing).

I think I'd like to pursue more more touring adventures...

Last edited by iamclaus; 08-21-15 at 11:03 PM.