Old 09-12-15, 01:04 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
Aww yeah I like this GT. Any more detailed pics?

Thanks!

A few, although I've yet to get around to taking proper glamour shots of it, partially because my custom paint job is only about two thirds done so far, partially because I still haven't quite got it built up exactly the way I want it, despite this being its second incarnation in my hands.

I know, non-drive side! I preferred the light (shadow) from this angle, and the small frame bag looks better on this side.
(Taken from atop the picnic table in my campsite in Doran Regional Park on Bodega Bay)

Paint detail:

The above and below two photos were from my previous build on this frame. It now has Jagwire stick on cable guides instead of the orange zip ties, and although fenderless at the moment, black Mud Butler fenders are in the mail to take the place of the silver hammered ones from Velo Orange seen here.

I like that reflector, but it's not on this bike anymore.

I dig my Odyssey Triple Trap pedals, but they are tough on shoes. A gentler platform pedal will be taking their place on this bike soon. The Pletscher/ESGE two legger kickstand stays, all my bikes have them, but it's invaluable on a touring rig.

The last two legs of my trip across California were only partially loaded. After I left my family reunion I was done camping for the trip and was going to be staying with different friends on my route and so my father took my camping gear off my hands and back to the Pacific Northwest. Hard to see in this shot, but I am running a pretty large pannier (Basil Weekender) on the far side of the rear rack.

I used to think it was an '88 or 1989 model Timberline, because it came with a U-brake mounted under the chainstays, but I finally took a look at the serial number when I pulled it out of storage and built it up again early this summer and discovered it is a 1990. I cut off the U-brake mounts and welded on canti studs in the usual location. I love the way this frame handles with all my camping gear on it, to me it feels like it was built for loaded touring. The Timberline is pretty low end, but I think straight gauge tubing might be a better way to go for tourers.