View Single Post
Old 07-31-19, 11:46 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I always try to be cautious about evolutionary explanations for things, but I could see how the ability to eat huge amounts when food was abundant could have been quite adaptive in certain climates as a hedge against periodic scarcity.

Epigenetics is a relatively new field, and it's already showing some interesting findings. I've mentioned this on BF before, but the recent study of type 2 diabetes in India indicates that the nutritional status of your grandmother when your mother was in the womb(!) has a big impact on the your body fat percentage. If grandma was undernourished while she was gestating mom, you're likely to maintain a very high percentage of body fat compared to other people with your BMI.
Yeah definitely good to be cautious about evolutionary explanations for things. But, the feeling of increased hunger compared to other people could have been countered somewhat by the fact that food was often limited in the past, so being more hungry wouldn't necessarily lead to fat gains, or a battle of willpower.

I mention epigenetics because I know a few people, who like you, have lost a significant amount of weight. They also say that they pretty much can't eat until they are full or even really satisfied if they want to stay the same weight. I suspect that all of that weight gain (and the foods that contributed to it) have skewed their sense of satiety somewhat compared to what it was before and/or compared to a "normal" person.