Old 12-16-17, 12:15 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
I'm running 19mm tubulars on my pursuit/tt track bike. Anything below 140psi (the min psi rating for the tires) and its almost unridable...like riding in oatmeal, squishy. I prefer my trainer experience to feel as close as possible to the real feel. At 30psi they would virtually feel flat! :-)
I think this is your limiting factor. I don't think any portable trainer or rollers will provide that.

The purposes of the trainer/rollers in the infield are to:

- Increase the temperature of the muscles.
- Actively stretch the muscles.
- Increase the heart rate.
- Stimulate muscle timing.
- Cool down.

The reason I don't think any portable trainer or rollers will provide real feel is because you need inertia of mass to get that. That's the "feel" to which you refer. This is why the trainers that feel the most real have the heavier flywheels. This is why CycleOps has a 50lb flywheel on their spin bikes. This is why Kurt offers an add-on extra flywheel. This is why Kreitler offers metal end caps to their rollers. It's inertia/momentum that makes them feel more real. And that's only achieved by using more mass.

EDIT:

I think a high quality, portable mag trainer might be your best compromise if you want resistance and feel. My favorite in the past was the older (non smart) Tacx Satori from the mid-2000s. The later ones may be just as good, but I haven't tried them. Good feel. Portable. Folded up smaller than rollers.

Last edited by carleton; 12-16-17 at 12:20 PM.