Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Maxxis Rambler 40c and 38c tubless

Size: 40c, actual measurement at 37mm
Size 38c: actual measurement 34mm
tread pattern: small knobs for dry conditions
construction: 120 tpi, flat protection, tubeless ready.
performance on pavement: excellent. Similar to road tires.
performance on firm and smooth gravel. Excellent – easy to transition from dirt to grass to pavement
performance on deep or soft gravel: Not bad.
durability
ride: reputed to be compliant for a tubeless tire. The don’t feel particularly firm or harsh to me, but it is winter time.

I’m impressed with their speed. With a 4mph tail wind, I was easily doing 20mph. The tread knobs are not much rougher than much of the asphalt I ride on when commuting, so they probably don’t hold the tire back much. Doing hard cornering, they transitioned easily from asphalt to grass to asphalt. I spun them up to 24mph and did a fast hard corner on asphalt, and they stuck like a road tire. I was leaned over hard on the side tread blocks, and only then could I hear them slightly complaining. Much, much more inspiring than a knobby tire that gets all squirrely when cornering hard on asphalt.

The ride did not seem to be any better than my 32mm Continental 4 seasons, even though I am running them at about ½ of the pressure. But then again, it was freezing outside, and I had tubes in them. Maybe with warmer weather and tubeless I can do a better comparison of the rambler to those lovely continental tires.