View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 04:52 PM
shaneshane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Fronesis, that make sense.

I figure the noise then could just be from the chain it self, PC1170 is the hollow pin design, I heard that people say it's a little bit louder just because it's hollow and easier to amplify the sound of engagement and normal rub. I'll see if grease it with better lube will help.

w.r.t to shifting, mine generally is ok, but from time to time, it seems did not shift as smooth as it could be in some of the youtube force 1x videos. I tried to adjust b-gap, but in my setup, even I loose the B-Gap screw all the way out, it seems does not get close enough to the biggest cog. (according to SRAM, the top of the derailleur pulley should be 6-15mm below the biggest cog)
do you guys have that problem?

Originally Posted by fronesis
A short chain will certainly cause more chain noise in the larger cogs. The question is what kind of drive chain noise you are getting: is it the ticking or clicking from an improperly adjusted RD, or is it just the chain on cassette and rings noise of a new drivetrain

SRAM does not design their drivetrains to shift "butter smooth"; those words are a much better description of Shimano. SRAM is aiming for a distinct snick as you go from gear to gear; many SRAM riders hate Shimano's "butter smooth" which seems vague to them compared to the more precise SNAP of the gears on SRAM.

My wife's bike shifts perfectly from gear to gear and has no noise from the derailleur. But the cassette and chain are certainly a bit louder when shifting gears compared to my Shimano bikes. That's normal.

I didn't ride my bike with the too short chain, but I can tell you that in the smaller cogs, the chain length sizing would not make an issue, so if you still have gear shifting or noise issues there, then the problem is coming from somewhere else.