Old 04-11-20, 08:58 PM
justbike

Bikes: Felt Z85 Road Bike, Trek Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhorse75
You should be looking at the top image in particular the part on the farthest right. There is a possibility it is on backwards on your wheel. The lack of serration on the face of the locknut is a giveaway. You'll probably need a chainwhip to get the cassette lockring off to get at it.
That is a very interesting point but I do not beleive its the case because the interior of the nut is not threaded so how would it tighten in the other direction?

The lack of serration/thread on the exterior is logical given the side opposite is serraded but I do not believe that the cassette side is supposed to be threaded ... I came to this conclusion as the frame has indentation from the threading on the side opposite the cassette from laying on threaded nut but the other side is smooth. See attached.

One again, I want to thank everyone for trying to help me solve this mystery. I have been trying to avoid the LBS because I am located in NY, the epicenter of the virus in the US - plus I figured it would be nice to learn some mechanics. Of course, a simple tire change has turned into a ordeal that has taken up pretty much my whole day.

Cassette side of the frame. No thread marks in the metal. Indicates to me this side likely had a smooth piece sitting on it

Side of frame opposite the cassette. Imprint of threads in the frame's metal indicates to me the frame was sitting on the threaded portion of the wheel