View Single Post
Old 09-09-20, 04:31 PM
gtd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bought a Specialized road bike (no model name -- early production) on sale in about 1986. It's too big, but I didn't know about bike fitting then. I had worked in a bike shop, but the only sizing guideline I knew at the time was to allow 1" clearance between top tube and crotch.

It's always been too big. I've really bastardized it since, too. New handlebars, seat, headset, dished the rear wheel so I'd stop riding in circles, etc. I added a handlebar bag, a seat pack, a corner pack, a back rack from Old Man Mountain, light water bottle cups, a frame pump. I've added things that make the "cool" people angry. Try riding into the start of a very popular century (5,000 riders) with a handlebar sleeve that holds a large 7-Eleven black coffee, while carrying a chocolate eclair in one hand! My only goal is to finish, might as well be happy along the way. I've ridden centuries, local weekend rides, etc., usually alone (so I need repair gear). I bought a rain kit and a suit bag so I could commute to work. Damn! Uphill in all directions with a full suit of clothes and law books. One night I did get a tailwind from a tornado that pushed me up a long, steep hill past all the stopped traffic, with all that gear, no pedaling required. Most awesome ride ever!

It's a nice-looking bike to this day. I think I'll add a Brooks leather seat. The bike won't fit correctly, and my butt will be sore for a while, but it'll be that much nicer and that much more fun.