View Single Post
Old 09-10-20, 05:23 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by gravyface
I'm 6'1" and a bit. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and had an XL hybrid (bike theft, stock is non-existent) that fit well for road, but felt a little tippy for off-road trails. I'm leaning gravel bike as I'm 90% road, 5% gravel/groomed paths, 5% true off-road trails with rocks/roots, etc.

I was planning on getting a beater MTB for that 5% and for when I'm taking it places like camp sites or patios or whatever with higher theft risk.

I've been discounting L frame, going by sizing charts, but maybe a large frame is fine. I know I know, just go and ride it, but I'm dealing with classified ads at this point out of town, so would like to limit number of trips/test rides.
Size XL these days is generally the same as a 58 cm and that it a good size for 6'1" You would probably want a frame with a 57 cm top tube. But that depends on your shoulder width and arm length. Use narrow bars - 38 or 40. Depending on what you're willing to spend, an older aluminum Ridley CX bike would do very well. They are a very stable off-road ride, Redline Conquest gives you mounts for hydraulic disks on the later models. The handling is quick on the Redline. If you use disks there is a learning period - they are VERY strong compared to even good rim brakes so be careful until you're used to them. Shimano hydraulic levers work very well and it took me 20 minutes to bleed them properly on my first try. Just watch the Shimano video on it.

Or you can go with V-brakes. I've found that cantilevers don't have enough power in steep terrain. But V-brakes (700c SPECIFIC TRP for instance) are nearly as good as disks without the danger of accidental locking.

Then you can use older CX bikes like https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Peugeo...sAAOSwsnldbFwc

If you can go new bikes a Trek Tom Boonen is a good choice. Lifetime limited warranty.