Old 10-28-20, 10:18 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
I am curious re the Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes.... When the pads wear, are they self adjusting or does the space between the pads and the rim steadily get bigger as the pads wear until you replace the pads? I didnt know about the different color pads. I assume they are Magura OEM and perhaps the green pads are softer and thusly offer greater friction and stopping force.
. BTW, I did see your mention of "pad adjustments" but I wasnt clear if that was only upon initial installation or ongoing as the pads wear.
The model I have from '97 does not "self-adjust." Yes, a the gap between rim and pad increases with pad wear. You can adjust for this by moving the entire brake piston housing closer to the rim. The adjustment is straightforward, however it can be challenging if the nylon conical washers get clamped so tightly that they get impressions in them from the brake housing. This happened to mine as I really clamped them hard knowing how much force was going into them during hard tandem braking. Other than that, the quick release is kinda wonky; one actually removes one side of the brake from the canti post, which leaves a "slotted" washer just sitting there, prone to falling off. The key is putting the brake back on after removing the wheel so you don't lose it! I would assume the newer versions may have changed over the last 23 years.

And crushing rims? I've never even thought about that eventuality and obviously never experienced this. Running Sun Rhyno Lite rims.