Old 09-10-19, 07:36 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The rain held out long enough for me to get in a ~30 mile ride - only got wet the last 2 miles or so. The Varia is... good. I'm not ready to declare it the best money that I've spend on cycling crap this year, but I might with a few more rides. One thing that I really like is that, particularly on ****ty roads, I don't feel that I need to be as conservative with picking a clean line through the cracks and potholes. One thing that I'm not so fond of is that it will occasionally drop a car from the warning track when it shadows long enough. In fairness, this typically happens when the car is close enough that it'll be on your personal radar, but still.
Mine arrived last night so I went out for a 5 a.m. ride to test it out. Around here there's not much traffic outside the city limits at that time of morning but I picked a few roads that were more likely to have a couple cars, at least.

Worked as advertised. I've got the latest firmware on my Bolt. Cars showed up towards the bottom of the screen. Had a couple false positives but no false negatives. I didn't get a chance to see how it displays multiple cars behind me, every car this morning was solo. But it has a nice audible alert and the LEDs flash which is good because I'm not staring at my computer all the time so the audible alert is helpful.

Not sure it was worth getting up at 4:30 this morning but I'm so busy on weeknights that usually my only chance to ride, it seems.