View Single Post
Old 09-10-20, 11:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
FWIW, it's a cyclocross bike that I've been using as a gravel bike, like many people do. otherwise, your advice is spot-on. I won the singlespeed 50K Castell Grind on this bike two years ago. (I was also the only person riding the 50k distance on a singlespeed that year.)
I would LOVE to find an old bike that like. however, bikes like that rad conversion you shared are selling for $400+ right now and are in need of new chains and a lot of other stuff. making it survive the local terrain by switching to to tubeless and getting a singlespeed drivetrain to work poses another set of challenges. I worked in bike shops for several years so the mechanics of it are no problem, just the money. my wife understands this and her financial goals are elsewhere, so mine are too. I now have more money to play with but no bike industry discount, so I am basically in the same place.
In a genuine effort to be helpful: Would something like this work? Simply swap all the components over from your existing bike. New cables and you're done.

Car dependency is a tax.