Old 10-10-22, 03:27 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I feel your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on because most all cyclist have a leg to stand on! <grin>

Maybe it's because I've for a long time rode oversize bikes, but typically at stops, when they are short stops, I only stop and stand on one leg with the other on the pedal. I can lean the bike as much or as little as is comfortable for me at the time and stand over is not a problem or issue.

I still can't imaging that either. Even a large Specialized Shiv, which is a time trial bike only has a seat tube angle of 75.75°. So coupled with the OP's words I'm having a lot of trouble picturing what an off road touring bike is. Touring to me means long times in the saddle and grinding away on the pedals. Something that I'd think not comfortable with a high seat tube angle.

Perhaps if the OP was 195 cm instead of 185 cm the STA would make more sense.
Most builders slacken the seat tube as the the rider's height increases, although that might have more to do with trying to keep the wheelbase short while lengthening the top tube. I'm 182 cm tall, and after I retired my Raleigh Super Course all of my seat tubes have been in the 72-73.5 degree range. I favor 72.5-73.

As for the OP's custom gravel tourer, it must be either some sort of full-suspension hybrid optimized for hillclimbs or it rides like a jackhammer to the perineum.

And now I understand about short riders. With that I leave a photo of the world's most successful (and prettiest) rider to ride bikes that were too big, Eileen Sheridan.

And here's a photo of somebody we all know and love, who could put either or both feet down, providing he loosened his toestraps first. I think his wife and sons are wishing him a productive day at the office.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 10-10-22 at 03:52 PM.