Old 05-30-15, 12:59 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by YonathanZ
My point is, I feel clue-less as to what can be done to prevent these weekly punctures.
For puncture #1 , don't ride over nails. It doesn't matter what tires or tubes you use. If you run over a nail just right, it's gonna make a hole.

For puncture #2 , figure out what caused the hole. If it's something avoidable, learn from it. Like if it's a pinch flat due to underinflation, simply remember to keep your tires inflated properly. But if it's one of those times where it's just a matter of bad luck and you ran over some impossible-to-see road hazard that hit your tire juuust right, well, those are gonna happen sometimes.

I think the best advice I can give is to learn how to fix your own flats. Every one of us gets flats from time to time and it's a whole lot better to be able to fix it yourself in a few minutes and get back in the saddle than to take your bike to a shop, wait 'til they can get to it, and pay them for something you're perfectly capable of doing.

As for sealants or "goo", I personally avoid them. Sealants don't always work, they can clog valve stems, and leaking sealant can make it more difficult to patch a tube. But there are plenty of people whose opinion differs, so make your own informed decision.