View Single Post
Old 05-31-15, 03:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I assume for many of your flats, you can re-inflate and ride home, but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I couldn't fix a flat.

This must be your other thread.
http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...oth-sides.html

As I understand it, you can either install the right side or the left side of the rear axle, but not both.

Why don't you buy your Joe tube that you want, install it, then practice a bit.

A few things come to mind.
  • The axle is twisted. This seems unlikely, but is remotely possible.
    - Find two square flat tables or similar that you can balance the tire between, and see if the flats are level on both sides.
  • The dropouts aren't aligned perfectly, or the derailleur hanger is getting in the way.
    - Perhaps put a ruler or straight-edge between the dropouts and observe for twist or other imperfections.
  • The dropout spacing is too narrow. The locknuts hit the dropouts on both sides.
    - Are there spacers/washers that can be removed? Be careful about cone adjustment.

You can make some careful adjustments to the dropouts with a file, but the square axle is needed for your motor, so you can't take too much off, otherwise you could ruin the bike. A removable derailleur hanger, however, would be something to target for "adjusting".