View Single Post
Old 06-14-15, 05:38 PM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
In my experience if you train you have to train for a purpose. It also helps to train with others. That way you have something to measure against. Joe Friel has some excellent tips and training plans and they will work. But training gets old real fast if that is all you are doing and it isn't to get ready for that next century, double, metric, tour or first race. Like I was told years ago, if I want to climb better I need to climb more. If I want to ride faster I need to ride with people that are faster. If I want to ride farther then I need to ride farther. All of those things I can train for and Joe's book will be a great help for you. Just realize riding can can be mind clearing as well.
Agreed! And in that spirit, i've been doing a number of different races! I just started riding last Fall and decided this spring to start doing actual races... i have zero chance of being competitive in these races BUT by signing up for (and paying for) these races I have something to look forward to and find they keep me motivated, which in turns help me stick with actually training vs recreational... my fitness level has improved beyond anything i could have hoped for!