View Single Post
Old 04-14-07, 08:40 PM
DoB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One part of me calls this toying with assault with a deadly weapon. Another part of me was a teeneager once who did a bunch of stupid things but never hurt anyone and never got caught being dumb.

What they did is a bit dangerous, but I don't think they ever intended to actually hit you. There is such a mindset now for authorities to ruin the lives of young people over pranks I think I might hesitate to make a report.

Case in point: Some kids locally let the air out of the tires of the school bus fleet. This caused the district to close for the day. A few copycat kids did the same in other districts. Some were caught and the punishments are so draconian (felonies, tens of thousands in fines) that it make you wonder. Is a dumb prank really worth ruining an adolescents life?

Don't get me wrong.....even playing at killing a cyclist is a terrible idea. But with the way law enforcement works these days I wonder just where a report would wind up going.

I used to ride a motocycle. Some kids once passed me and threw stuff from the window at me. I followed them home and I told the one kid's dad what happened. He was obviously displeased and took care of some discipline right then and there. I think the loss of vehicle privledges and grounding worked on that kid and were probably better than whatever the cops could have come up with.