Old 08-06-10, 07:52 AM
bigdaddy10028
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziltoid
Any weight lifting can be bad if you don't know what you're doing.
EXACTLY, I'm so tired of hearing clueless people say they are so bad for you. i'm not restricting this to cycling, I'm saying in terms of general fitness. Me and every other person I know that has recovered from major knee surgery has had to do them as part of physical therapy. They can't be that bad right?

Here is what gets you into trouble with leg extensions.

1. Imbalance, always doing leg extensions, but not working the hamstrings to match and keep balance through the joint.

2. Too much too soon. Trying to go way to heavy, way too soon. Tendons need time to get conditioned just like the muscles do. you need to have a couple weeks under your belt of doing strength training in your legs to have the conditioning required to lift heavy.

3. Piss poor form. Jerking the weight up and stopping it way to hard at the bottom of the movement, also starting the movment up from an acute angle as opposed to taking it down to 90* and then starting back up.

Any exercise done with poor form or not coordinated properly as a total conditioning regimen is going to cause problems.