View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 10:27 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Erie Canal Trail - 360 miles, 24 hours

Coming to the well of experience to ask your thoughts on this ride. Putting in some decent rides this year, with a couple doubles planned soon, plus several quite climby centuries.

Longest ride I've done was a double last year with about 5500 feet of climbing, solo in about 11:45 moving time, and 12:30 total time out including breaks. Planning to repeat that ride in a month, this time with a couple other riders.

Today the idea of riding the Erie Canal trail from Buffalo to Albany in 24 hours or less came into my head. I have no idea what being on the bike that long feels like. The route is mostly flat, with a few sections of climbs where the route takes to the roads instead of a MUP type trail. The trail is mostly crushed limestone, with some pavement. Going to check out some sections over the next few weeks.

I know 360 miles in 24 hours is doable for some. What are the issues when you push that far? Any concerns about medical problems besides dehydration from not drinking enough / correctly?