View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 07:37 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Ive used Chamois Buttr and tried some Assos stuff. The Buttr one is available in numerous bike stores and simply because it was there the reason we have bought some tubes over the years.
The Assos stuff has some "cooling" stuff in it, which I personally didnt like the feeling, and it was a sample, but I presume that like anything Assos, is surely super expensive. Not worth it imo.

the Buttr stuff is fairly non smelling, etc, reasonably thick, and doesnt make any diff when it comes to hand washing bike shorts--ie, no staining, no harder to wash chamois by hand that without it.

As aside, it was a bunch of years ago I tried using chammy cream, the Buttr stuff as it was the only one at the bike store I always went to. I did notice a difference on long rides compared to without--but then at some point I got some diff bike shorts that for me, worked a lot better than the ones Ive had over the decades.

Now you know of course that crotch comfort depends on a whole slew of factors, short fit, chamois types, seat type, seat position, bike position, how much you ride, body shape, etc etc. I did find however that with my setups on my diff bikes, that in the end I really didnt need chamois creams. When I planned a few years back to do a two month trip, I had enough stuff that I just didnt consider taking a tube--kind of heavy, and wouldnt be able to find any more anyway. In any case, my specifics of bike/bike shorts/seat and all that was such that I was fine riding day after day, and not having chafing issues, so I probably havent put any chamois creams on now for years.

good luck trying some brands out. There is no doubt that the stuff does help with friction and less skin sensitivity, I guess all I can suggest is to also think about your specific bike shorts, and to think or try to analyze if a diff brand or higher quality would make just as much difference--but such a totally personal thing here.

Here, a tube of Buttr is about 25 bucks, so Im sure its worth trying out some.
I do figure however that as I don't buy it anymore, Ive easily saved money enough to pay for the more expensive bike shorts I use now.
I also do use Brooks leather saddles generally, and the whole "taking to my shape" factor along with the nice, slightly slippy aspect of a leather seat means more easy slight movement of me against the seat top, which reduces friction compared to a plastic top saddle--as well as the "breathing" aspect of leather, which I agree seems to result in less of a buildup of hot, sweaty nether regions.

good luck trying out stuff