Old 06-18-09, 08:44 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cannondale Tri
The bike is smooth, fast and easy to pedal. It was the best ride I ever took, and it was the worst. I suppose most firsts are sloppy. I'm an Athena and so, at one point either due to my weight or a nut that was not tight since it had just been assembled, my handlebars fell forward about two inches and curled that much more for the rest of my rider. I thought they were falling off! But, to my amazement, they shifted and I did not end up a pile of bones on the ground. I think my stem is too long, it's a reach. And I need my handlebars up a few more inches. Too much pressure on my wrists and hands: carpel tunnel. I also came home with a sore neck looking for traffic in-town. How do you ride looking down and not looking for trucks, cars and pedestrians? I need to take a road out of town to do a long, flat ride with little or no distractions. However, what should I bring on an outing away from home and town, just in case?
Congratulations on discoverying road bike riding! Perhaps you've done it by now, but you definitely need the bike adjusted by an expert at a local bike shop. They will "fit" the bike to you by raising or lowering the seat and handlebars -- this may cost $25 to $75. They might recommend to change the handlebar stem to one which is longer or shorter -- this should only cost $25 to $50.

Once your bike has been fit, you shouldn't have any carpel tunnel. You may still get a sore neck, but less so, and within a few more rides you neck muscles will strengthen and you won't have a sore neck anymore. Same thing if you've ridden far enough to have a sore butt. This will lessen, then cease, as your body gets used to riding.

It sounds like your good used bike might not have been used in a while, before you go it. I recommend you have them go over the whole bike and check that everything which should be tight is tight, and which should be loose is loose, and which should be lubricated is lubricated -- this may cost $25 to $50. If they find a brake cable or shifter cable which is worn out, go ahead and have them replace it, and prevent you from being stranded somewhere away from home.

While you're there, have them show you how to put the chain back on. When a chain comes off, there are two ways the chain may end up, either on the inside of the chainrings, or on the outside of the chainrings. You need to know how to deal with both.

When you're ready to go on longer rides you need to take: a cell phone, a water bottle or sports drink per hour of riding (or plan to stop for a refill), a small snack (easy to digest, high energy foods: banana, fig newtons, raisins, almonds, energy bar -- read the label, and pack 200 to 300 calories per hour of riding). Of course you can ride an hour, with just some water, but take a snack just in case. Check the weather forecast, you might want to carry a rain jacket.

You need to be able to change a flat tire. Carry a spare tube, a tire tool, some way to pump up a tire, and know how to use them. If you paid the guys at the local bike shop to tune your bike, and if they're not extremely busy, then you won't be imposing if you ask them to show you how to change a flat.

A great way to do some longer rides, and have help if you need it, is to find some local group rides. Be careful to match your fitness level with the planned ride, so you won't get left behind 20 miles from home. Ask the guys at the local bike shop.

Good luck!