View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 04:43 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Ha, great shot. You were just ahead of the board boom, especially for the Midwest. Ski resorts were yet resistant to them.

Funny and thinking back to the year you posted above, (I forget exactly maybe 1983-84) and with my ski buds in Steamboat only one had a 'mono-ski'. He was an odd sight and there were NO snowboards.
I took that snowboard to Steamboat in spring 1985. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

Spring 1986 I take it to Killington, Vermont. Literally down the street from Burton. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

btw, back in 1985, Steamboat only had green and black-diamond mogul fields at the base of the mountain, no blues. Greens are boring so one night after they shut down, I walked that board to the top of a mogul field. Took me over an hour to do so, big run, steep, truly difficult. I found out quickly it is impossible to board moguls. Of course, being young and not too bright, I tried to do it twice. The second fall was epic and I paid for it for a week.