Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 3,154 Times in 1,661 Posts
@wktmeow you called?

Roger Millikan Race Report:Date: 2/10/2019
Category: 3
Racer: David Garcia
Place: 2/53

Last weekend we kicked off the season with a good showing at Roger Millikan. In the 3’s field we had five riders including myself. Going into the race I thought we would also have three other capable riders, which would make us far and away the strongest team in the field. In that case, my plan was to constantly be on the attack and eventually make something stick. Without these riders present I knew we would have to be more conservative.

In the first half of the race there were a few random attacks that didn’t really cause much alarm IMO. I stayed near the front and even popped out on the front a few times when the pace slowed just so I wouldn’t get swamped in with the mid pack riders.

A bit under halfway through, a group of 6-8 got a gap and were in front of the field for a while, at which point I started to get slightly concerned. Trevor (strong teammate) rolled alongside me and asked if I was worried about it, and I said kinda-sorta-not really. At any rate he made a strong move to bridge up so that took a lot of pressure off.

After a few more laps some strong riders in the field were putting pretty hard digs on the front and it was clear the break was going to get caught. The pace was fast as we caught them at the bottom of the hill and right as the riders on the front eased up I countered super hard on the outside and got clear.After a lap OTF I looked back and saw 4 riders chasing with a clear gap on the field. Perfect. I stayed out there for another lap and eased up going up the hill so I could let them roll past me and slot in to start working immediately. We worked together nicely and I felt great in the break. I gapped my break mates a couple times pulling up the hill and even had to coast at one point to let them latch back on. Of the 5, it was obvious that only two others were going to be contenders to win as the other two were struggling a bit and not riding super smoothly, making mistakes.

Fast forward to one to go, I’m taking my pull on the back stretch and then go a bit wide after the chicane expecting the rider to pull through, which he didn’t. Field was getting close and I was spooked so I yelled, letting them know we couldn’t afford that. The next rider pulled through super weak and from third wheel the winner (Levi) launched and got clear. I hesitated which is why I lost. I counted to three Mississippi, at which point it was already apparent I was racing for second. I let the rider take me (suuuper slowly) through the last corner and launched up the hill and held on for second. Guy behind me got third, last two were swallowed by the field.

I’m disappointed that I didn’t go with Levi because I had the legs to win. After being on the front I wanted another rider to go and “leap frog” up past Levi, but it didn’t happen. You snooze you lose.

Overall it was a great start to the season and I’m looking forward to more aggressive racing in the weeks to come.

first loser

low-res action shot, crankin'

Last edited by TMonk; 02-12-19 at 04:30 PM.