View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 02:02 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
How much grease...

...is too much grease?

On my '87 Ironman Master, I'm swapping the original 6-speed 13-21 freewheel to a 13-26...figuring it will give me a little more "low end". My age, 66, pretty much demands this!

Anyway, re-greasing the axle was due, so it led me to wonder just how much grease to use in this fairly well-sealed system.
I squirt the Phil Wood grease onto a toothpick and lay it into the cups, several 1/4" long strips, filled almost all the way around, and spread out a bit with the toothpick. I then put a lesser amount onto the cones, and assemble.

Does excess grease work its way past the sealed guards, or does it migrate into the hub along the axle?
Are the grease amounts pictured about right, or too much? I doubt it is too little...

Before putting in the ball bearings...

A little bit on the cones...

This is after some spinning, and spreading the grease around...

This notched, press-fit grease guard fits like a glove, and actually spins around freely - to avoid a greasy build-up?

The non-drive side grease guard is also a perfect fit. I'm impressed with these 33 year old hubs!

Likes For 67tony: