View Single Post
Old 03-11-21, 11:43 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Oooh, very cool! My '71 is a little more primitive. No bb shell cutout, no fork tangs, still has Carlton decals. Same lugset, but semi-wrap seatstays i/o this full-wrap. Raleigh upped their game a little bit as they rolled into '72.

Mine has a brake-drilled fork crown, so I can ride with a front brake without swapping forks. But having the undisturbed original fork and a close-match drilled one is nicer.

I managed to get 32-584/650b wheels/tires to fit, which makes for a slightly smoother ride for this old sack o' bones. BB height on mine is sky-high, 55mm bb drop, so lowering the height doesn't cause any corner-strike problems. The Grand Bois Cypres Extra Leger tires get close to 34mm wide on the Pacenti Brevet rims, which are 19mm/23mm int/ext width. No crimps in the chainstays, so the wheel has to be all the way back in the ends to get chainstay clearance.

That Blackburn bar-mount cage is pretty neat. I don't remember ever having one, but have distinct memories of tightening that setscrew. Probably on a customer's bike back in the day. The solution I often use these days is the good ol' Minoura MB-1, which is a total pain in the rear end to install, but once installed and set, pretty solid and stable.

Got the '71 as a frameset, and for the first time in a long time I did first build it up pretty close to vintage catalog spec. Found my tolerance level pretty low for all that on a fixed gear for road riding, compared to a vintage road-bike build. So there are now some significant/glaring changes from catalog spec, but it's a bit more fun to ride this way.