View Single Post
Old 03-11-21, 12:04 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb

...I managed to get 32-584/650b wheels/tires to fit, which makes for a slightly smoother ride for this old sack o' bones. BB height on mine is sky-high, 55mm bb drop, so lowering the height doesn't cause any corner-strike problems. The Grand Bois Cypres Extra Leger tires get close to 34mm wide on the Pacenti Brevet rims, which are 19mm/23mm int/ext width. No crimps in the chainstays, so the wheel has to be all the way back in the ends to get chainstay clearance....
Got the '71 as a frameset, and for the first time in a long time I did first build it up pretty close to vintage catalog spec. Found my tolerance level pretty low for all that on a fixed gear for road riding, compared to a vintage road-bike build. So there are now some significant/glaring changes from catalog spec, but it's a bit more fun to ride this way.

You and I have similar tastes. I've been wanting to do up a 650b fixed, even went so far as to build a brakeless wheelset.

Interestingly, this one has crimped stays and the BB drop is ~70mm. This past winter I had bought a dirt-cheap set of Maxxis 30mm tubulars that I can't decide whether to glue onto the original rims. I tried my tracklocross wheelset with 30mm clinchers and the fit is really good.

Now the decision is to run an incredibly garish set of yellow deepVs to be able to ride it or glue a set of ugly(giant yellow "Maxxis" written on the sidewall) wide tubulars onto the original wheels.