View Single Post
Old 04-09-21, 07:50 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
A few years ago when Trek introduced the Emonda ALR they also offered the Emonda S which was carbon. They have since discontinued the Emonda S and only offer the SL and SLR which are more expensive. This way they don't have an alloy and carbon fiber bikes competing against each other... the ALR was the better bike in that price range.
When I was looking for a new road bike a month ago I was intent on getting an Emonda ALR but there were none to be had in my size, and no more on the horizon. I ended up getting a Specialized Tarmac SL6, for about 1400 bucks more, with the same 105 groupset the Emonda had. I dont regret it at all because the Tarmac fits like a glove and rides great, but I would have bought the Emonda, if available, and if it fitted.

Before I got the Tarmac, I actually had a BMC Teammachine ALR 2, with 105, but returned it because the seatpost kept slipping. The BMC carbon equivalent to that bike, the SLR, was about 1200 bucks more than the ALR. I could have got that but by then I'd lost faith in the fancy, internal, seatpost bolt system the BMCs have