Old 01-27-24, 11:56 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Of course, there’s always the option of what I like to call a Cheapskate Rohloff: a Shimano Nexus-7 or Alfine-8 hub, tensioner and double chainset. Range is 20”-90” with an Alfine-8 with an 16T sprocket and a 48-32T chainset, less with a Nexus-7 (to get a 20” gear you’re dropping the top end to about 80”).

Its advantages are as follows:
  • Plenty of ground clearance;
  • Grease lubrication makes for a clean ride, compared with the oil used in Alfine-11 and Rohloff hubs;
  • Ease of maintenance - an annual dunk of the hub innards in grease is all that’s required;
  • 20” wheels enable a low bottom gear without compromising the 1.9 ratio of sprocket - chainring recommended by Shimano;
  • Ease of indexing compared with the fussiness of the Alfine-11 and a greater range than the Alfine-11 with a 1x chainring;
  • Range of shifters - bar end, flat or dropped bar STI, thumb shifters and probably twist shifters are produced by Shimano and Microshift;
  • The option of electronic shifting (possibly, I’m not sure how Shimano Di2 would play with the combo, but all the hardware is there for it at least);
  • Range of dropout widths - Nexus-7 hubs fit 126mm and upwards; and
  • Price compared with a Rohloff.

The principal disadvantage I can see is the additional hassle of getting a wheel built around your hub of choice, and the lack of range compared with a Rohloff’s massive 20”-110”.

Any thoughts?
Likes For Reddleman: