Old 01-28-24, 12:56 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Saw the "Dalloy" in their specs....
meh. 6xxx and 7xxx (generally) can be welded and heat treated, but some Dahons had 4xxx hinges to make them lighter and welding is a major no-no.

My main hinge is clicking again and I'm just about over it.
I'll take one more wack at clean/lube/adjustment before I donate the damn thing.

Almost tempted to find a BMX frame and transfer as much of the components as possible.
(I'll get around to doing a geometry comparison one of these days/weeks/years)
This is likely the end of my second Dahon phase.
7005 was designed to not need heat treat after welding, just a low temp bake for "artificial aging".

Hinge of 4xxx, cannot weld? Well how is the hinge attached to the frame?

Hinge clicking: Do you mean loose when clamped closed? Or clicking as you fold it? The latter may indicate a bent hinge pin, but try lubing. There is a thread on here, somebody replaced their pin, pulled pin and reamed hole for a VW door hinge pin.

I have an old cracked Dahon frame, I keep for hinge spare parts if ever needed, but also use it as a wheel truing jig, held in a "workmate", as dimensions are identical to my replacement Dahon frame (which didn't come from Dahon). If you don't want to do that, you're not by chance near Seattle, are you?

The components should transfer to a BMX frame... EXCEPT... the rear dropout OLD may be narrower for fixed gear. And no rear derailler mount, but then neither does my dahon frame (for a conventional derailleur), I use a claw mount under the axle nut.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-28-24 at 01:02 AM.