Old 08-07-19, 08:46 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Come to Tennessee and let me introduce you to some paved road redneck dogs. They don't chase decoys. Always waiting at the top of the steepest climbs. I've had two dog attacks requiring medical attention. One pack attack where a pit got me. And one chow attack that required five surgeries and two years off the bike. They were both on civilized paved roads, though. I can't remember ever seeing a loose dog on gravel, whether in Tennessee or the midwest. (I'm sure they exist. I just haven't seen them.)
In Kansas it seems like there are more loose dogs on gravel. But I also personally know several people who have either moved to the south or moved here from the south and they universally say that stray animals are a way bigger problem down there.

They're generally farm dogs vs junkyard dogs so maybe that accounts for it. I've only been bit once, fingers crossed, and it was a redneck dog and not a farm dog.

Originally Posted by u235
Thread seems to have taken a potential foo subforum turn but...

I will always take the gravel or dirt path given a choice. I go out of my way to include it. I use my "gravel" bike as my road and off road bike. I've had a pristine clean bike coming off my car at times like you mention and I've also done group road rides with the only mud and gray dust covered bike with salty dried sweat splatter mixed with dust on my head and top tube.
I would guess they took off in the rest if the country due to versatility. Here in Kansas it's also because we have a lot more gravel roads than paved roads, and they're usually more interesting and fun. I live in a mid sized city and I can leave my door and be on gravel in 5 miles.