Old 08-15-17, 08:55 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
RMR Crit tonight in South SLC. Usually just a weeknight crit, but there was USAC points on the line tonight. Flat, racetracsk course, Easy 90* sweep, small Right-Left chicane and then a long 180* bend back to the drag strip. Back side was real bumpy. B grade, 45 minute race.

Race started out chill for the first two laps then the attacks started coming. It didn't look like anything was going to stick due to the headwind on the drag strip. Tried jumping int othe tailwind as everyone was taking it real slow out of the headwind and into the 90* bend. Came real wide and got a pretty good gap. Was watching shadows and saw one other had come up to me. Kept the head down pulling (I've been working on...DON'T LOOK BACK) until the chicane where I pulled off to see it was two. Caught the wheel and realized we had a sizeable gap. Guy who pulled trhough was toast though and didn't put in a big enough effort in the headwind and when I came back through, it was too late. Back to the pack and recovered in about a lap and a half.

Little later, heard some guys talking about a coup to go for it next lap. Anticipated and jumped to them. Head down pulling but the group got too big so back in the pack. Another lap to recover.

Few more tries to wait for breaks to go and bridging across, but nothing was going to stick. Saw some teams start to mass at the front at 3 to go so I moved up and caught the back of a train. 2 to go and we catch the last straggler. Had planned to go in the same spot with 1 to go, about a mile out into the tailwind, but someone else took that jump. Caught onto about 6th wheel and waited about 25 seconds and he was back in the group. Remembered something I read on here about "race to win, leave nothing behind" and went for it. Jumped hard, got the gap into the chicane and headed into the last corner. Balked at it and touched brakes. ****. Lost a ton of momentum and came out really wide. Got back on the pedals with about 500m headwind to go. Couldn't hear anybody coming and knew I had a gap coming out of the corner. Out of the saddle sprinting until the legs were giving out and I got caught with about 40m to go to the line. Ended up 6th or 7th.

Summary... I'm feeling real good for crit racing. Like some of the best I've ever felt. Too bad there are so few opportuniteis here and it's practically the end of the season. My recovery is excellent, power is there and I played the race tactically correct and to my strengths. Looking at my power graph, I crossed into Negative W` about 200m to go. Had I held my speed better through the last corner, who knows? Maybe I could have held on for the win or at least a top 3 and some upgrade points.

Man, I've missed crit racing.