ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pressed001
Hey gents, quick question regarding this topic:

I have DA 7700 32 hole hubset and have just purchased some 32 hole H+son rims. I weigh only 150 and although I want the wheels to be robust, 32 hole is overkill. For example: I have built a 24 spoke super-light wheelset for my cross country mtb and have never had an issue.

Question: it sounds simple to build up a 1/2 laced rear wheel. I lace 2 cross all 16 DS spokes and then just 8 either radial or 1 cross for NDS. But, would that work for a 32 hole rim? I understand that some of the holes would be left open. Are there issues there that would make this a no-go?

Building it with 32 spokes would also be zero problem but I think the 24 would hold up just fine for me and would look better, minus the empty spokes holes.
Holy 10-year-old thread, batman!

Not a wheelbuilder but there was a similar question recently (I can't find it now) and the general consensus was that the rim would be weaker without all the spokes. I don't know and don't care about the science, because how much weight are you saving with those 8 missing spokes? I'd imagine you could get the same benefit from a little extra time in the bathroom on raceday morning.