Old 09-27-19, 03:50 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Need Help Picking Replacement Wheel (long)

I have a 2018 Cannondale Synapse 105 SE (aluminum frame). I’m not fast but I’ve put 11,637 miles on it in 14 months.

On the rear rim I recently noticed six hairline cracks. All of the cracks are at the spoke nipple holes. The cracks run longways (parallel) along the rim, and they are spread roughly evenly around the wheel.

I plan to keep this bike another 2 ½ to 3 years, then upgrade to a carbon frame Ulterga bike. So probably, about another 24,000 miles on this Synapse.

I’m not currently considering carbon wheels, because I don’t think that lower end carbon is worth it. And better carbon wheels costs more than I paid for the bike.

LBS has quoted $125 for cheapest wheel in the shop (do not want!), to $350 for a very good or possibly the best aluminum wheel in stock (rear wheel only). I asked (on phone) the brand and model of the better wheel, but after two tries I still didn’t hear him well.

Details:
The OEM rims are WTB brand aluminum rims. WTB STP i19 TCS 28-hole, tubeless ready. 700C, minimum tire width is 28mm, max is about 38, but I want to run 28’s. 105 Shimano 5800 11 speed free hub. Axles are QR drop outs. Brakes are TRP Spyre C cable disc, 160mm, 6 hole disc mount.

I would greatly appreciate general suggestions, and especially links to USA located sellers (retailers and e-bay) of good new (I don’t want used parts) aluminum wheelsets that fit my bike.