Old 02-02-20, 01:48 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Huh.
Maybe its other frame design characteristics(geometry) that make it feel flexible and lacking in power transfer.

Perhaps similarly to 23mm tires feeling faster than 32s presumably because more vibration is felt and we associate that with speed. If a frame is designed to feel stable and comfortable, it may seem flexible and lacking in power transfer, yet it is actually stiff and transferring power just fine.

I am 235 and my 80s road bike frames with traditional tube diameters(which are exponentially more flexible than a modern Renegade's tubing diameter) hasn't ever made me think I am losing power due to frame flex. So my modern steel frames defintely havent made me think they are too flexible.

I do suggest you read up on power loss from frame flex. Measured results may surprise you.

In any event, larger diameter tubing is exponentially stiffer. Find a frame with a large down tube and a horixontally shaped oval top tube as those tubes directly affect bottom bracket sway.
chainstays that are round and not vertically oval are also stiffer. Stiffer chainstays will help make it feel like power isnt being lost.
A lighter and stiffer wheelset completely changes the feel of a bike. Perhaps it's as simple as a different wheelset than stock.

There is an entire debate/idea in cycling about this very issue(frame flex) and 'planing' is argued to be beneficial in some instances and by some cyclists.
But I could totally see why it may feel bad and isnt for everyone.

Anyways, go get yourself a frame with a honking big downtube, some round chainstays, a 44m head tube with tapered steerer, and an absurdly stiff wheelset. That'll ride like night and day compared to the Renegade. You may be faster too. Placebo is a hell of a concept.
Thank you for reminding me that bike is a sum of its parts and I should not focus solely on the frame in search of a better power transfer (and more importantly, subjective feeling of it).

But you are saying in general that it is more about the frame construction than frame material and titanium with proper tubing will be plenty stiff, yes?

For example, what do you think about this particular titanium gravel bike frame:
https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/grit-range/

It looks stiff and power efficient? I am also thinking about shortening the chainstay to 430 or even 425 mm in this bike frame to improve the acceleration more.

Originally Posted by shoota
That's surprising. I've ridden a Renegade it didn't find it flexy at all.
I thought so too until I started to ride and directly compare my bike to a couple of carbon gravel bikes. The perceptible difference is big. I also ride much more and got stronger. My neighbor is a semi-professional cyclist and when he attempted to pedal hard while holding the brakes, he made the bb area of my bike flex so hard that I thought it will brake. When doing the same on a carbon bike, the flex was much less apparent. So it is not only my subjective feeling...

Last edited by sweetspot; 02-02-20 at 03:17 AM.