View Single Post
Old 02-26-11, 01:51 PM
lucienrau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
This is the best LBS I've dealt with so far I think I just stay away from bike shops, the way I stay away from most local businesses. I don't know if this is NYC thing but small business cry that they're suffering but I haven't seen one yet that treats the customer properly or has done a job well and most of them have bad attitude to add to the mix. I've been getting much better service from large stores like Home Depot or Lowe's than small hardware shops for example.
Here in RI, it's a hit or miss thing, much the same as when I lived in Boston. Some local businesses are amazing. There's a hardware store here that's an institution and is about the only place to get decent contractor recommendations, most times it's easier to go to Home Depot. There's a chain of bike shops in Boston where two of them are great, the other two are absolutely awful. The LBS I currently go to, almost got me away from biking when it was under old ownership. Very much a fixie/hipster place that was only open three days a week. They were the initiative for me learn how to do my own wrenching. New owner, now they do lots of outreach, give very good advice, won't charge for small things and are welcoming to utility/family cycling. They helped me get the right sizing on my last bike even though I wasn't ordering thru them since they're not a Salsa dealer. They're quite tolerant of my 2-year-old whirlwind, which helps. Of course, these days it's easier for me to order online and to do the work in the basement when I have time.