Old 01-12-18, 07:34 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The bull moose ride will be so much the nicer with these early mtbs.
I agree. I think in order for drop bars to both look, and handle decently on this bike they would have to be super wide, and used with a relatively short reach stem. I have neither of those on hand, and I already have a very nice drop bar touring bike that I love anyway. A bullmoose MTB is something I don't already have in my stable.

I did get it completely stripped down last night, but haven't gotten to clean the frame and fork at all yet. Everything came apart a lot easier than I was expecting considering it's condition. I did run into one snag though. That's the reason I haven't gotten anything cleaned up yet. I knew things were going suspiciously well.

The last parts I went to remove were the 2 adjustment screws on the rear dropouts. Of course one of them decided to snap off in the frame, so I spent most of the night fighting with that...

Finally got it drilled out without damaging anything though! After dealing with that all night my next tool purchase will be one of those "easy-out" kits for my drill. That really would have made the job a whole lot easier!

I'm back on track now though, and getting ready to give the frame and fork a good wash job. Pics to come shortly!