View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 12:27 AM
noahsmonark

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
since what is required is a threaded cap you might consider taking measurements of the thread and then checking with industrial supply houses and or plumbing supply resources to see if they have anything the right size.
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I'd just buy some of the MKS pedals that look pretty close to the Lyotards you have on there now, and if French threaded spindles is an issue, retap the Fauber crank to accept standard pedal threading.
Originally Posted by merziac
I would shorten and dress the threaded shaft that is sticking out to far, then use the slightly too big caps with brass or aluminum shimstock or foil and a touch of super glue for locktite.

Certainly liking the suggestions!

Summer here in Finland only lasts a few months and seeing as I've already spent weeks and weeks thinking about these ridiculous dust caps, I'd prefer a no-hassle solution just to get me back on the road.

As a first option I'm thinking of just riding these now as is - and start looking for similar-ish looking Lyotard pedals from Ebay.

This would be a nice compromise of not having to re-tap anything or shorten spindles, but still get something that will appear period correct with the bike. Btw I actually already thought about shortening the spindle... My regular crosscut mill file + elbow grease got me absolutely nowhere... Just taught myself some new swear word combinations that I can use later. Probably not at all the right tool for the job though.

Anyway. One little problem with my 1st option = looking for new vintage Lyotards:

The inside diameter of the pedal holes on my one-piece Fauber crank is 12mm. Why am I getting an itchy feeling this will get me into further trouble..?

This is a bit of a noob question - but I'm dealing with the metric system here and as the size of the crank hole is 12mm, what would be the proper search word to find accurate sized Lyotards for this? Inches are used more commonly with spindle threadings am I right? This is just a gut feeling but I'm thinking most of the Lyotards will have a slightly larger thread on the spindle (14mm?) but then again, there's bound to be some out there, that would match these one-piece Fauber cranks without needing to modify.

Last edited by noahsmonark; 08-07-19 at 12:48 AM.