View Single Post
Old 08-08-19, 10:39 PM
noahsmonark

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
The MKS website states that they make their entire Sylvan line of traditional pedals in a 1/2" spindle. https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/news/node/10

What I would do is go to your local bike shop and have them try to special order a pair of MKS Sylvan touring pedals with a 1/2" spindle for you.
This is a great suggestion - I had no idea MKS made these with a 1/2" spindle and I have to admit, their pedals do look the part. I've seen some models where the aluminum shine is too dim/matte (same goes to the pictures on their website) but then I googled a real-life photo of the pedals: it had the shine and looked shockingly close overall.

That info on their website is from 2002 (!) though.

Originally Posted by juvela
you could replace the spindles on the 45CA set with the 1/2" spindles from your 45TER fellows.
Also a fantastic idea I hadn't thought about. 45CA would be a slightly more common model to find am I correct?

Only issue I can think of is my spindle may once again be sticking out too far for the dust cap to fit...

Originally Posted by juvela
I have a Fauber chainset here which came from a Monark - can confirm its pedal thread is indeed 1/2"
Thanks so much for checking that. Seeing as these are (should be...) standards, wouldn't this mean the 1/2" MKS replacements (if they exist) actually then ought to be a fit.

It's a tough call between MKS-thread-possibly-not-fitting and spindle-possibly-sticking-too-far but these are both great ideas.