Old 09-27-19, 04:26 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ml9
I'm not allowed to post any links yet, but the connondale website does have a product page for the 2019 Althea 1. It lists SRAM Powerglide 1130, 11-42 for the rear cogs and SRAM NX 32t for the crank..I don't know if any of this information is what you are referring to...? I'm just starting to try learn all of the different bike components, but it's still all pretty new to me.
Yes, that is what we are referring to. The crankset refers to the front cogs (chainrings). Since the Althea is a 1x drive train, there's only one number there. Some bikes have a double or a triple crank, which would give you numbers like 28/38/48 or 34/50. The cassette refers to the rear cogs. On an 11-speed 11-42 cassette, there are 11 cogs... the smallest having 11 teeth and the largest having 42 teeth. To get the gear ratio for any given combination of cogs, divide the front teeth by the rear teeth. A lower ratio is better for climbing, and a higher ratio is better for downhill. If you have to do any significant climbing, you'd really like to have at least one gear combination that gives a ratio under 1. If you don't have to worry about hills, then any bike you're looking at will be just fine with respect to gear ratios.

hokiefyd also mentioned gear inches. That's just a nice way to talk about gear ratios without using decimal numbers. To get that, simply multiply the gear ratio by the tire diameter.

As for the different Althea bikes in question, Cannondale's site shows the white bike as a 2018 model, but I find several retailers (e.g. REI) that list it as a 2019 model. Maybe they kept the same color scheme and specs for both years, or maybe the retailers have it listed wrong. In either case, as hokiefyd pointed out, the current model (whether it's a 2019 or a 2020??) has a 38 tooth chainring and is "meteor gray" in color.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 09-27-19 at 04:37 PM.