Old 02-17-18, 11:21 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger
Don’t even talk to me about tubeless Vittoria Speed’s, I’ve been racing on the road on them for a year now.

Absolutely awesome tyres, stupidly fast and they feel amazing but damn, getting them mounted on my wheels was a complete nightmare.

Using Tyre levers on a full carbon rim had my bum hole puckering, I was sweating like I’d just come out of the sauna!! I recently had to remove the rear Tyre to replace the sealant as I’d let it go flat over the winter, didn’t have a syringe to remove the old sealant and popping the bead to pour it out like I do on the MTB is impossible....

I’m still a full noob on the track but running the new Vittoria Pista clinchers, they feel good. Weirdly I did have an inner tube blow for no apaparent reason in the car which popped the bead off the first time I used ‘em. Unnerved me a good bit but haven’t had a problem since, the tube had been sat for a long time wrapped in an old coffee bag strapped to my training bike though!

If I eventually buy something nice and aero for the front of the bike it’ll probably just be a Clincher as dealing with tubs is crap, I’d never run tubeless on the track though.

I’ve got a rear disc that I’ll eventually use on the track that’s a tub, meh......
Noobie here as well, coming from the Time Trial and Road world. It's weird how some wheels/tire combination are such a ***** and it doesn't appear to be correlated to wheel/tire width. I have the 60mm Rovals on my Venge and use Conti Grand Prix II 23mms, and I can put those things on in my sleep with no tools. However, the original DT Swiss on my KTM road bike with the same tires were horrendous to put on, and these are all just clinchers! I noticed the DT Swiss on my BMC trackmachine were hard to mount as well, as well as my HED Tri-spoke track clincher....no rhyme or reason to it.

Regarding the gear, all I can say is that I thought it would be fairly straight forward to get into track --- 2 bikes later, aerobars, front and back disks, front and back tri spokes, power meters, upgraded seats, and minus enough cash to practically buy a new car, I'm finally ready! Good thing I'm not married. I'd be in the doghouse for AT LEAST a year after this madness. ;-)