View Single Post
Old 09-25-23, 10:03 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8345 Post(s)
Liked 9,194 Times in 4,530 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I've been tempted to try some mountain biking but I've held off mainly because the people I know that do, are often not riding at all because they're recovering from some kind of crash; broken collarbones, bruised or broken ribs, concussions, etc.
As I posted earlier, my experience has been the opposite of this. Of course, I know a lot more roadies than mtb'ers but I can't remember anyone ever getting hurt on a mtb ride where they needed an ambulance, or worse. I did have a mtb friend fracture his hip once but it was minor and he rode to his car. I had 4 friends break hips in the same year on road bikes.

Usually if you suggest trying a mountain bike to a roadie they will picture flying off cliffs or tumbling down rock strewn chutes. The reality is you can start with mellow singletracks or even smooth fire roads. You shouldn't start by following seasoned riders down a double black diamond trail or a jump line at a park.

Some of your road skills and abilities will translate to mountain bikes but there is a whole separate skill set needed to manage the dirt. Good road riders will do fine on smooth climbs. Whoever the best road climber is will likely be the best off road climber until things get gnarly.

Roadies will try to just sit on the bike like they do on the road. You need to learn to move your body around a lot more and get comfortable with some sliding. Some people who are good road riders will never be good off road. Never. It's a different discipline. It's definitely not for everyone, but neither is road riding.

The positives to off road riding are huge. First, no cars. This means no drunk drivers, no carloads of obnoxious kids screaming and throwing things at you. No punishment passes. No deafening race motorcycles inches from you. No bus exhaust, no traffic lights, etc. You can see a side of the land you'll never see from a road. You'll experience quiet. And great memories.

Likes For big john: