View Single Post
Old 10-13-18, 05:21 AM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks Katsup,
It looks like the 720 will be fine for my purposes. Stays are a little longer than the 750 which is nice and I am well equipped to add rake to the fork. Other than that geometry is identical. Since this bike is for my Copenhagen Wheel, weight isn’t a big deal. It looks like the 720s are plain ga. 4130 instead of butted. But for a step through this may be preferable. Since I’ll be running my new favorite tire, the Panaracer 43mm Gravel King SK at 30 psi, ride won’t suffer despite heavier tubes, stays and fork.

I’ll be swapping the parts with my much modified 7500, then selling the 7500.

It will be odd to have two such different Trek 720s. My other one is the original lugged, silver brazed, Reynolds 531 touring bike with the wonderful 47.5cm chainstays. Since they used CS gauge 531 instead of “Tourist” and 1/2” seatstays it’s a bit of a noodle when heavily loaded, but I don’t tour anymore. OTOH lightly loaded, it’s and absolute dream for day trips or overnighters.

Originally Posted by katsup
Page 46 is the 720 of that year. The 720 is not as nice of a frame as the 750 (full chromoly vs 3 tube chromoly)
http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...d/1996trek.pdf

The geometry specs are on page 67.
Likes For MnHPVA Guy: