Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
There are SO many variances in conditions, but, FWIW:

I have the condition to the point of needing a cane to save a potential fall when walking anywhere. Really, I don't have trouble cycling, with a few exceptions. I need to visually check my foot position regularly if riding without toe clips, otherwise knee trouble starts within a short time. He'll need to keep those joints lined up to save possible injury. My left leg has actually developed better muscle bulk and tone because I can't press as hard with the right leg.

Handily, I don't need a cane when out cycling; using the bike and brakes for support when walking works out fine for me. If I have to leave the bike, I've got trouble! Getting on/off can be risky, but again, lock the brake and it should help. A step through or mixte may work out without the performance downgrade a trike would entail.

Good luck to both of you; you may be pleasantly surprized at how much he's able to do, I hope so anyway!
I ride far better than I hop around. Often to the amazement of people. In Oak Ridge, TN on the bike paths, people adore this and support me heavily. A Mixte is the best friend stiff, spastic limbs can have, and no performance downgrades. And still light and lively chosen right. Fitness is your friend, when you are overcoming challenges of the physical kind. Best wishes, and no limits. I pedal, I push wheelchairs, I hop around. I use the tools as needed.