Old 01-01-21, 03:46 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by ft3safety
Hi,

Hopefully I can reach out to someone with a Shimano long cage 12 speed rear derailleur. If so, could you please measure the distance from where the derailleur attaches to the frame (center of bolt) to the very bottom of the rear derailleur swing arm at 6 o'clock position? Not entirely mountain bike relating but I'm wondering if I can use a wide range cassette (50 or 51 tooth) on a small folding bike (16" wheels / 20" wheels). Or would it be too long and would the bottom portion hit the pavement? My folding bike is a 1x system so having a 1x - 12 speed will really help get good gear ratios.

Thank you!
I have a shimano 1x12 MTB and a 20“ folding bike. No need to measure anything. It's going to hit the pavement for sure.

My folding bike uses a SRAM DualDrive, which combines a 3x IGH with an 11-34 cassette, to achieve an extremely wide range. It works great, but I think they stopped selling them years ago.

Sturmey Archer has (or at least had) a similar solution though.