View Single Post
Old 01-18-16, 05:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We have a "Where Do We Live?" thread, which we can continue posting to as well ...
http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...o-we-live.html

But for this thread, I'm thinking more in terms of weather, environmental conditions, road surfaces, etc. to describe your local area.

What is it like where you are?

Does it affect your ability to be car-free or car-light?
Does it have an effect on your cycling?
See my reply to that thread. From a couple of other previous threads:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Does a near-perfect weather place exist?

Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here. Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Describe Your Commute

Kenmore Square, Boston to Norwood over 30 years

Route: Reverse commute from downtown on four different routes of a minimal distance of 14 miles, each defined by a different hill; can expand to about 30 miles to train
Environment: In order of hill difficulty: Gritty (but safe) urban, pleasant suburban, pleasant urban, ritzy suburban
Hills: One moderate hill on each route, then smaller hills; estimate only about 1-2 miles flat
Road conditions / surfaces: All paved blacktop roads, many, but usually avoidable potholes and cracks; better in summer; shoulders and bike lanes usually available on the major thouroghfares; pleasant residential streets. A pretty well connected, scenic and utilitarian system of bikepaths is available.
Traffic: Heavy urban traffic on major routes during usual travel times, but I ride the reverse commuter direction, mostly very early in AM…
Alternative Transportation: subway, train, car, bus, taxis, car rentals, Zipcar, place to stay comfortably overnight [at work].
In summary,

… Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner...

… through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park)…during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons…
Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-18-16 at 06:01 AM.