Old 08-15-18, 04:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?
Originally Posted by robertj298
Every once in a while I like pushing myself where I'll average around 15 mph over 10-15 miles just to stay for but for the most part I enjoy a more relaxed pace of 10-12 mph. Where I can more enjoy the scenery around me.

A lot of riders get too worked up over how fast a pace they can keep and miss everything that's going on around them.
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Exactly what I do, although I also go longer distances to build endurance. I get interval training climbing hills…Speed doesn't matter much.

I'm there for the workout and the scenery, not the Strava.
Originally Posted by dennis336
I, too, don't have speed as a primary goal. I do check my average speed after every ride and will take note if it's faster than usual but I don't think about it enough to set a goal to beat a previous best.

Prefer to ride in whatever way comes to mind ... sometimes slower meandering and checking out the scenery, sometimes cruising at, what for me, is a fast pace for a while, or just plugging along at whatever speed feels right at the time
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fast, slow, I just enjoy riding.

When I feel strong, fast is good. Otherwise, or in casual group rides with friends, slow is good.

However when I improved my conditioning by pushing harder than I was comfortable with to get faster, I was also more comfortable on slow rides and enjoyed it more.

Being able to ride faster isn't just for the sake of being fast. It's nice to be able to loaf up a climb while chatting with a friend, on the same hills that used to leave me gasping for breath or getting off to walk.
I replied to this thread.So do you track? How do you track? and what do you track?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On my Excell spreadsheet I track:…Average speed: Not so much to consciously increase, but to use as a measurement of fitness; ridden over pretty standard routes…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…An adage I once read on BF is My 15 mph (40 mile ride) is to me, as your 23 mph (double century) is to you."
However, for me as a cycle commuter, with limited time to train for longer rides, I can't just meander.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-15-18 at 04:20 PM.